Sunday, September 28, 2014

How I Survived Statistics

When I was taking courses for my doctorate, the hardest classes for me were Probability and Statistics I and II.  Both classes were required, so I had no choice but to take them and pass!  Here is what I did:
  • I pretended it was a war - Statistics vs. me - and I was going to be the winner!  I was determined!
  • I outlined the textbook chapters in addition to my lecture notes.
  • I made study cards for everything in the course.
  • I went to the graduate assistant for help - A LOT!
  • I did extra practice problems.
  • I used Distributed Practice.  Besides all of the above, I studied my note cards about 20 - 30 minutes almost EVERY day of the week.  Either I got up early or found some time during the day, but I hardly missed a day during the entire semester.
  • I even took my work with me and studied on vacation.
One problem I had was that, due to the times the classes were offered, I had to change professors for the second class and the new professor was foreign with a heavy accent.  It took me awhile to get used to what he was saying, but reading the textbook BEFORE class helped me know what words to look for.


So - my message is that if I can pass these two courses (with an A minus and a B plus!), you can do anything you want to do!  If you are determined and use all of the learning strategies you can, you will be successful!  Go for it - and good luck!
 
First Semester Success: Study Strategies and Motivation for Your First Semester (or Any Semester) of College, by Dr. Arden B. Hamer, is available at wordassociation.com, amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment