Sunday, August 24, 2014

Motivational Goal-setting Part 2


Having goals and working toward them can be very motivational.  You can set goals of different lengths to help motivate yourself.   Here are some examples:

Long-term goals can be any length that is not immediate - end of the semester, four years from now, whatever suits your purposes.  Here are some examples from my students:

*At the end of the semester I will be off of probation.

*At the end of this semester I will be on the Deans’ List (3.25 semester GPA or higher at my university).

*This semester I will earn nothing lower than a B.

*I will earn an A in Organic Chemistry.

*I will review my notes as soon as possible after each class.

A short-term goal can be anything with a week or two time period, such as:

*I will earn a B on my History exam.

*I will study two hours a day in the Library at least four days this week.

*I will complete all of my English reading before the weekend.

A third length is a daily goal - like a “To-do list.”  For example:

*I will finish studying in time to watch my favorite TV show at 9:00 PM.

*Today I will do my laundry and go to the gym.

*Today I will write out a study plan for the week.

*I will go to the tutoring center for help with math.

(You will note that all of these goals fulfill the three necessary characteristics of an effective goal – they have a time limit, are measurable and achievable.)

An important step is to do more than just think about your goal. Write it down; post it where you will see it, tell someone else.  You have to remind yourself daily about what you want to achieve.  This makes it more concrete and meaningful.

Take a minute right now and set a goal for the next week and a few for today.  Then – go out and achieve them!!

First Semester Success: Learning Strategies and Motivation for Your First Semester (or Any Semester) of College, by Dr. Arden B. Hamer, is available at wordassociation.com and amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment