Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Motivation and Goal Setting


One way you can keep yourself on track and motivated is by setting goals.  These can be short-term (for the day or week) mid-length (month, semester) or long-term (year, several years, etc.).

Whatever the length, a good, workable goal has several characteristics:
  1. There is a time limit
  2. It is measurable
  3. It is attainable
 For example:
  • This week I will go to all of my classes.
  • Today I will select a topic for my research paper.
  • By the end of the month I will have my paper completed.
  • This month I will complete the process to change my major.
  • At the end of this semester I will be on the Dean's List.

If you are having trouble with motivation and procrastination, setting goals is a great tool to help. 
The goal will help keep you focused.  Of course, you need to frequently look at the goal and remind yourself what you are trying to do!  By successfully completing a goal, you are motivated to keep working and accomplish something else.  So then you should immediately set a new goal.

Remember, if you do not achieve your goal you should revise it, reset it and start again.  Success never happens if you quit!  So...what is your goal for this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment